Pages

Nov 12, 2012

Comply or Die "Sixes & Three suns"

  That review is a request from the band.
-->

The frenetic Irish stone-core squad is back and let's see how the unstoppable groove machine is going on since the Depths album.
Two songs would be enough to get an idea.

Sixes: the sound, the riffs, the nervous drumming: all you need to get a nice stiff-neck. Quite classically rocking piece, until 2:38, where you just open your ams to welcome a warm stoner part with the tapping and floor drums. Then you can go back to the head-banging and the shaking of your right leg, straight to the end of the song.
Verdict: a good old Comply or Die piece, made of the power and the energy I already praised and happily find again.

Three suns: a shorter one, with a nice intro, and lots of vocal. If the previous one led me to known territories, this one was a bit more difficult to enter. I am not a fan of the singing. In Depths, I didn't mind it, because it was never a central part of the songs. In Three suns, it is unavoidable, and I think it is too much for me. I also had a problem first with the small guitar solo at 1:41. I hate guitar soli, so I trained my brain gets nasty as soon as my ears come across anything that sounds like a solo (even remotely). But in this case, I soon discovered I had over-reacted: what I (and probably no one else) would call the solo part is preceded by the kind of greasy bass line I will never get tired of, the real solo only lasts 10 seconds and it is quickly drowned in a sonic mayhem so cool that I ended up looking for that part.
Verdict: I suppose this song may be more representative of the change in their sound announced in the communication leaflet that goes with the single. If I got used to it this time, I am not sure I would stand an entire album like that: too much vocals for me, and I found it sounded a bit too clean.

Comply or Die is slowly drifting from the sludge bank of the Wishkah to some Craggy Island costs. I enjoyed the trip, and if you like wet stoner rock made by hyperactive old children, check the single.
And this.
And this.

the bandcamp.
the site.

Objectivy is not a crime:

Belfast Metalheads reunited