Pages

Oct 30, 2012

Bloodstained "Saligia"


I discovered the band through the Hardboiled Scene Report vol.1 compilation (go for it, it is a decent bunch of heavy ass kicking songs). Bloodstained contribution is called “Unfilled” and you can't pass it by, because not only it is the best song on the compilation, but one of the best hardcore song I heard this year. Yep.
I am not very fond of the metallic BloodHateBackViolence scene, but when it comes down to providing the listener with a good and nevertheless grooving sonic slap, I must admit that those big guys know their job. And when it is done, like this song, with an intelligent and original twist of the usual codes, it's like a breeze of freshness whirling above a mass grave.
First, you have the killer intro: the Rolling Stones' “Time is on my side” sung by what sounds like a wife-beater with a real sympathy for the devil, white noise viciously interfering, gloomy noises, and as the violence starts to drip from the singing, you understand that the “baby” mentioned in the lyrics probably got her pretty face pretty bruised. The next thing you notice is the big blast of brutal hardcore, straight in your face, just for like her. Pretty illustrative, nicely done, and, moreover, original.
Then, you think you know the deal: double kicks, riffs that weighs the external debt of Ireland, angry voices coming down from whiskey flavored holes. Sounds like a classical heavy metallic hardcore song, but with well-crafted irregular patterns.
The Rolling Stones comes back, in the middle of the storm. Just the riff, like a moan covered by the psychopath asking his neighbor voyeurs if they enjoy the display of domestic violence they are assisting.
And the beating resumes, big mosh part, heads will surely shake in rhythm with broken bones and choking cries. You can't stop it.
When it is over, the psychopath goes back to his couch huming, once more, “Time is on my side”.
A hell of song, a song about hell, a masterpiece of sickness and brutality.

As I looked for information about what I believed could be THE sensation of the year, I learned that they are polish, the song comes from the 2010 Saligia album, and as expected, they know well who Kickback are.

When I listened to the album for the first time, I was quite disappointed. Classical metal-driven songs about greed, sins, negativity, death. No soli, no sissynging parts, at least. But it was far from what I expected from “Unfilled”.
Because I am obstinate, I went back to it, and I enjoyed the energy and the heaviness of it. And the fact that it is not the average Hatebreed imitation. But it surely won't make it to my top ten.
So, if you are really into that kind of hardcore, you may like the album. Or not, as it definitely sounds way less sick and threatening than anything Kickback ever put out.

But be sure you give “Unfilled” a try.

And art is not life: stop domestic violence.

the Myspace
the site
Order it via Ratel Records

Objectivity is not a crime: